Social Housing Fund to benefit local people

In Disability, News, Older People by Denis Naughten

Roscommon and Galway Councils shouldn’t hesitate to access a national fund of €14 million to improve the homes of people with disabilities and those of older people in our communities, according to local Minister Denis Naughten.

The fund is being made available for improvements such as grab rails, disabled access ramps, and wet rooms in local social housing.

The Government will pay 90% of the cost with Councils providing the remaining 10%.

Confirming the Government’s national allocation of €14 million, Minister Naughten stated: “Living in your own home, in your local community in the company of family, friends and neighbours is the best comfort and security for people with disabilities and older people. This fund will ensure improvements to homes will make them safer, accessible and secure.  Grants can also be used for home extensions where there is overcrowding.

“Roscommon and Galway Councils shouldn’t hesitate to access this fund to ensure our local communities get a fair share so it benefits those in the greatest need.  It is important that people see the benefits of this funding as soon as possible. One significant development in the Scheme is that ‘Improvement Works in Lieu’ and extensions to privately owned houses are being allowed, where the occupant is approved for social housing.  This funding also provides a welcome boost for local construction jobs in the region and for local suppliers.”

The money being made available represents a significant increase of €2m on last year.