Officials asked to explain why broadband delivery pushed back 5 years for some – Naughten

In Business & Jobs, Families, Infrastructure, Jobs, Local Issues, News, Posts by Topic by Denis Naughten

Officials overseeing the delivery of the National Broadband Plan will be asked to explain to an Oireachtas Committee why families who had a target date for a fibre connection this year have now been told that they will have to wait another five years, says Denis Naughten TD.

“I have correspondence from families who received updates from National Broadband Ireland during the summer stating they will be connected to the high speed fibre network in autumn 2021, yet they have now received a further update in the last few weeks telling them they have been pushed to the end of the build programme and will be waiting until 2026 for a connection,” stated Denis Naughten. (see attached example)

“Officials from the Department of Communications and the Department of Rural & Community Development, who are set to come before the Oireachtas Committee on Community and Rural Development, tomorrow morning will be asked to explain what is happening with the delivery of the plan and the communications strategy around it.

“I have received a number of similar stories from different parts of my constituency and I would be surprised if this problem is confined to Roscommon and Galway, this is just not good enough”, said Denis Naughten, who will chair Wednesday’s meeting.

“The current Programme for Government, published after Covid-19 hit, promised to fast-track the delivery of high speed broadband to every home in Ireland but all we have seen since then is delay after delay, using Covid-19 as the scapegoat.

“It seems that not only has there been no effort to fulfil the Programme for Government commitment, but at least some of the slippage in timelines has been because of a lack of co-ordination across Government Departments.

“These individual stories from families come on top of the disclosure last week in Budget 2022 that the National Broadband Plan is now running eight months behind schedule; that’s a further two months behind the timeline presented to the Oireachtas Communications Committee by the contractor just last month,” concluded Denis Naughten.

 

Read the correspondence here: NBI letter 5 yr delay